Welcome to Hydrargentium's: We Blog!

Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm in.

Well, I did it. I submitted my four story ideas to Image Comics' "Who Wants To Create A Super-Heroine?" contest. I must admit, I'm a little stoked, a little jazzed, a little, how do you say? Ah yes, "edgy about the spine."

I can't seriously believe that I'll even make it into the top ten with any of my ideas. Let alone making the cut to top five (which is also gonna require a boatload more work). And there's almost no way I will be THE ONE. (And, OMG! Three issue?!?!?! I have to write THREE ISSUES!!!!)

Still, it's fun to imagine. Just like good old Carl Schmidt, I can entertain myself on my walks from somewhere to some-other-where, picturing my life after I win (OMG! I have to write THREE ISSUES?!?!?!?), basking in the glory of success over seemingly impossible odds -- and all based on the merit of my own creative capabilities. The very act of making the first step entitles me to an enrichment of my fantasy life that could not ring with the same potential of veracity without such a pedestrian impetus.

It really makes one think about the whole "making you own luck" idea, whereby adherents believe there is no such thing as luck, only hard work, the willingness to take risks, and the ability jump through the windows of opportunity in the brief moments during which they are open. I'm personally feeling happier and more successful (and really, everyone strives for success only to make themselves happier) for having tried, and I know I will continue to be proud of myself just for having entered. It's much easier, after all, to avoid the sting of rejection by not even trying.

But then my walks would be a lot less interesting.

Hg

BTW - Thanks to Frank, T.Mike, Brett and RaZ for their feedback on the ideas. I appreciate every single keystroke -- even the Shift keys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home